As soon as I finished step 2 in my visionary pattern by cutting with the Twister template, pinning and piecing, I cut the scraps. Two piles of black come from the border (2.5" and 3" squares). With the 10" blocks, it seemed that 6" borders work so that the template has enough to make the twist. And this is what comes if one cuts those scraps into usable squares. The inside cuts produce 4" squares, but one came out as a 5", for some reason.
Without a second border, the piece measured 58.5"x60". Again, the piano print was given to me in two pieces, so it meant laying it out against the top to see possibilities. I cut 3" borders WOF on each piece to make a top and bottom border. Then I cut a 3" wide strip the length of each piece to make the side borders and have a little bit left to make some 3" squares, plus whatever might be left from basting. I might have made that border larger, however, this was safe, and it works.
It measures closer to a 64" square now, which makes a generous personal lap or nap quilt. There is enough black to do the binding on it. I plan to machine quilt it with a black thread and am already loving how it looks. That Twister template works miracles with scraps!
With every quilt I make, there is always something I see that I wish I had done differently. I have heard that you can re-do anything on a quilt before it is basted. On the other hand, I have heard that no one ever sees what you see.
I always hope that the recipient likes the quilt. Yet, you never know.