I basted another Bird Quilt this morning. I just bought a roll of painters tape to secure the back to the table. Usually the tape holds the back and allows me to lay the batting down and then the top over it. Not today.
Today, I struggled with the tape lifting off and of course that meant that the back had folds in it. I smoothed it over so many times, basted in the middle first and then gently pulled the back fabric with one hand while holding onto the sandwich with the other. I have already switched the tape for another one in hopes that the next time will be easier.
With all the delay I've gone through waiting for the remodeling to be completed, there will be a number of quilts going through this process. The plan is to join excess batting for some quilts or to use it in the smaller projects. I have a lot of work to do to catch up.
It felt so frustrating doing this work. Then, the other thing I faced is that this particular back was scrappy, and I did not follow the rule of making the back with a 3" overhang from the top. That meant checking and rechecking to see that the top laid over the back precisely. Frustrating to think I did that. Yet, it was important to be self-forgiving because at the time, I didn't know better. At least now, at this stage of quilting, as an Intermediate Quilter, I can adapt and correct.