Thursday, August 29, 2013

Change of Mind

I wonder, sometimes, why it is difficult to have a change of mind about something? Its as difficult to have a change of heart about someone.

Our culture makes it easy to fall in love because all the books and movies are there, and they end happily ever after (at least the movies made in this country). We are not taught to say good-bye, or taught how to release, or taught how to change our minds.

If you read my last post, I wrote about the Flying Geese pattern and how I made myself a kit. I really don't want to make that particular quilt, and attempted to convince myself I could build it into something wonderful. This morning, I woke up with the realization, that I could it break up and re-distribute the pieces of fabric for other projects.

I wonder how many times in my life have I hung onto something that really wasn't quite working, and really wasn't in my best interest. Yes, its true that I could negotiate, could compromise, could make do.

However, I tossed this 'kit' to the bottom of my project container with no intention to even look at it today, next week, next month and maybe next year. I was willing to let it take up space. I was willing to let it be a UFO (unfinished object), even though I knew it had become undesirable.

I threw the pattern into the trash basket and will integrate the fabrics into the stash so that they can be pulled out for use in other quilts.

Today is the day that I do not settle for less than what I want.

1 comment: