Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Quilt Terms

It was brought to my attention that I used the term 'strip piecing' instead of the correct 'chain piecing' for the assembly line fashion. I found a glossary of quilting terms and quilt definitions online.

Hard to say if my brain was on vacation or if I had one of those senior moments. What they say is: Chain sewing --to feed block pieces into the sewing machine one right after the other, without snipping threads in between each seam. This allows you to sew many pieces without stopping after each one, saving both time and thread. They also call it 'chain stitching'. 
Read more: http://quiltbug.com/articles/quilt-terms.htm#ixzz2cfIfSJGr

And that is what I meant. Strip piecing is a whole other process.

Its a funny thing, how our brains work when it comes to communications. We forget, we remember. Most of the time, it all flows pretty easily. We usually only notice when something isn't correct, isn't in the right place at the right time. 

One of my undergrad minors was in Communication Disorders, so I had classes in Neuroanatomy, and labs in speech and hearing therapies. Among my friends and in my family, I have known adults with Aphasia, Dyslexia, Strokes, Dementia, MS, Autism, various forms of Depression, and chemical imbalances from Alcohol as well as prescription medications.  Usually our brains work quite well. Usually.
My Neuroanatomy classmates were able to dissect some brains that year. We had to cut them from the cadavers, and so it was a complex process. I had one question that went unanswered: Is it possible to unfold the folds in a brain and lay it out flat? Got an A in that class, but can no longer spout off the names or functions for different parts of the brain. It comes back when its part of a diagnosis so I do know what a surgeon is talking about.

I've always been a list maker of some sort. There are small notebooks everywhere to accommodate random thoughts, notions and ideas. I work hard at not forgetting, but I still forget names. And occasionally I struggle for the right word. 

As a result of all this background, I have become somewhat of a research geek and know how to find the best answer within three sources. I don't trust one source for information to be the true one. Yet, things puzzle me all the time, so as result, I ask questions constantly.

And this is where I get in trouble with simple terms and need things like glossaries. There is too much in my head, too many facts, and things I want to do, and too little time to become expert at anything...good at some things, maybe even better than good.





2 comments:

  1. When I'm tired, or over-stressed, I have difficulty coming up with the right word. It's like my brain goes on vacation -- nothing up there.

    ReplyDelete