Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Stash Busting


I inherit fabric. Some women who quilt regularly clean out their stash. This last batch came to me from a friend who cleaned out her Mother's estate. I wash whatever comes, measure it and then it becomes part of my stash. 

These fabrics are not of my own choosing, and usually the previous owner didn't include a pattern, making me pretty much on my own. Its a delightful challenge. I found a simple 4-patch pattern that I am converting into something a little larger and started cutting this morning.

The fabrics above are flannel and will make a very warm quilt combined with backing. From what I read, muslin makes the best choice for batting.

And also, I will be working on the free motion project. One bobbin a day! I need to mix fun and work with this.


1 comment:

  1. Do you start out sewing with a particular color in the bobbin?? Do you use a different weight of thread for bobbin vs. top thread? I want to see samples of your free-motion quilting. I MUST learn to do this. I'm tired of stitch in the ditch. My next project for my sister's lap quilt would be a great place to start as it has a central figure with a frame of fabric around it. I'm thinking of padding the figure a bit heavier than the surrounding edges. Have you ever done anything like this?

    ReplyDelete